Translate

Sacred Heart Church Punalur history

A Glimpse of the past
Punalur is a town situated, at the eastern corner of Kollam district on the foothills of the western ghats on the banks of Kallada River. The Sacred Heart Church, under the Patronage of Sacred Heart of Jesus with a vibrant community consisting of more than 150 families has a prominent place in exuberating faith in southern region of the Archdiocese of Changanacherry. In the serene township of Punalur, Church stands as a true symbol of Catholic faith, grandeur and majesty.

The Development of Changanacherry Diocese – Territory Extension

The Syro Malabar Church was founded by St.Thomas, one of the 12 Apostles, who traveled to the farthest country then known to proclaim the Good news. He set sail to India and landed in Kodungalloor, Kerala in 52 A.D. He preached in different kingdoms all around the sub continent and established seven and a half Ecclesial Communities in Malabar, today called Kerala. When the European missionaries came to India, in the 16th century, the ecclesiastical boundary was limited within Pamba and Bharathpuzha.
During the period of the second world war, Syrian Christians from central, started migrating to the Southern region of Kerala. Since the faithful were mostly farmers & traders, they were looking for farm land and wherever they settled, they built Churches and established their own faith communities.
Cardinal Eugene TisserantCardinal Eugene Tisserant
It was a historical event that the secretary of the Oriental Congregation Cardinal Eugene Tisserant visited different centres of the St. Thomas Christians(Marthomanasranikal) of Kerala in 1953.Through the visit Cardinal Tisserant personally experienced the zeal and missionary spirit of the Syrian Catholics, and the cardinal submitted a report to the Holy See. The result of this report was the expansion of the Changanacherry Diocese till Kanyakumari. The expansion came into existence in 1955 through the Multorium Fidelium Decree. This Decree gave a new spiritual and social inspiration to the southern region mission including Kanyakumari, Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram and Amboori. New foranes, schools and convents were started during this period.

The establishment as A Parish

Mar Mathew Kavukatt
Mar Mathew Kavukatt
In 1962, Under the guidance of Archbishop Mar Mathew Kavukatt, Rev. Fr. Ephrem Kunnapally, who then was the vicar of Venchebu parish, inspired and motivated the laity, and with the assistance of few prominent people like Adv. Mathew Panjikkaran, Thomachan Koithara, Francis Vayalumkal, Chakko Varghese Karuvallil, Mamachan Anchil Puthenchira and P.V Johnappan St. George Bhavan, initiated the move for a Church at Punalur. In 1962 we purchased a land near Punalur Bus stand, started the construction work, which was more like a chapel with limited convenience . The Church was consecrated by His Excellency the Archbishop Mar Mathew Kavukatt in 1963. Rev. Fr. Jacob Punnakkal took charge after Rev. Fr. Ephrem Kunnapally. During his time, Holy Mass was conducted on Sundays in temporary sheds constructed at lands donated by Sri. Joseph Judge and Sri. Kurian Kannat at Chengulam and Cherukadavu respectively. Rev. Fr. Mathew Kuzhively took charge in 1965. During his time a small but beautiful church was constructed at Chengulam. From 1969 to 1972 Rev. Fr. John Madappad served all these churches.
From 1972 to 1975 Rev. Fr. Jose Orikkala CST and Rev. Fr. Thomas Kallidukkil CST served the parish. It was an era of new direction and growth for the church when CMI priest Rev. Fr. Job Vallippalam took charge in 1975, and he was succeeded by Rev. Fr. Chakko Basil Varampathuchira CMI.
From 1977 to 1985 Rev. Fr. Kurian Mukkocheril CMI took charge of all the three churches. On 31st December 1977 H. E. Cardinal Mar Antony Padiyara consecrated the Infant Jesus Church at Cherukadav. Sahridhaya Nursery & Tuition Home was started along with Nellippalli church on 21st October 1979. Sanjose Book stall started in 1979 played an important role to make Christian books available for the parish community.
In 1979, The foundation stone for the construction of the C.M.I. Nirmal Giri Ashram at Mukkadavu, was laid by the Prior General Rev. Fr. Thomas Ikkara. The 6 Acres land was donated by Rev. Fr. Cyriac Manavalan. H.E. Archbishop Mar Antony Padiyara blessed the Ashram in 1981. Since then the Priests and the Brothers of Ashram serve Parish church in Spiritual leadership and material works.
Cardinal Mar Antony Padiyara
Cardinal Mar Antony Padiyara
In 1980 H. E. Cardinal Mar. Antony Padiyara elevated Sacred Heart Church, Nellippally, Punalur as a full-fledged Parish from the status of Mission Parish. Cemetery construction work was completed during this year. From 1979 to 1985 Fr. Kurian served as the Director of Yuvadeepthi, Kollam Region. A couple of Cultural activities as well as conventions were conducted under his direction. In 1985 Punalur Convention started.
In 1985, Rev. Fr. James Joseph Kozhimttom took charge. A new Grotto has been constructed at Kakkode for Chengulam Church. 1987 to 1990 Rev. Fr. Joseph Malayampuram and Rev. Fr. Sebastian Pinaiyil served the parish.

From the Hill to the Heart of the City – On the path of Progress

In the beginning there were only a few families in the parish but later on when the parish began to grow the need of a new church was felt. From 1990 to 1993 Rev. Fr. Mathew Polachira served the parish. On 14th May 1992, with the financial support from Changanacherry Archdiocese a land of 30 cents was purchased on the bank of Kallada River, near Nellippally Junction. In 1993 Rev. Fr. Mathew Polachira was appointed as the Novitiate Master and Fr. Rector of Nirmal Giri Ashram. When Rev. Fr. Jose Chennattussery took charge as vicar, the construction was given priority and funds for construction was raised from the parish itself and A two storeyed building was finished. Ground floor (Now turned to Social Service Society Office) was used as Church and the first floor for Sunday school. The Church consecration and First Holy mass was conducted by Msgr. Mathew Pulickaparampil, the then Vicar General of the Changanachery Archdiocese, on 9th October 1994. Ever since Rev. Fr. Paul Thunduparampil CMI took charge as vicar, under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Mathew Polachira CMI, a decision was taken by the General Body to start the construction of church. A sketch was drawn with parish hall in the ground floor. The Foundation stone of the proposed church was laid by H.E. Mar Joseph Powathil, The Metropolitan Archbishop of Changanachery. The parishners helped by voluntary labouring for the work Parish separated into different prayer groups and monthly prayer meetings were started. Rev. Fr. Mathew Chethikkalam CMI took charge as the Assistant Vicar. During his tenure, Sunday school and religious organizations have reached its heights. As he has to leave for higher studies, Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Kalarikkal CMI took charge. A choir group was formed during his time..
In May 1996 Rev. Fr. Antony Kakkanad CMI, appointed as the Rector of NirmalGiri Ashram and the Vicar of S. H. Church Nellippally. His vast experience and contacts helped him to continue the church construction works started by his predecessors.
Prayers and contributions of the Rectors, Priests and Brothers of Nirmalgiri Ashram benefited the parish beyond measures and their sacrifice remains ever fresh event today. Consecration of the church was done by Mar. Joseph Powathil, the Archbishop of Chenganassery. Blessing of the grotto of Blessed Virgin Mary and Parish Hall were done by the Bishop of Punalur Diocese Rev. Dr. Mathias Kappil and then the Provincial of CMI Fr. Thomas Kalam. Thus the dream to have a parish Church materialized.
After Rev. Fr. Antony Kakkanad CMI, Rev. Fr. Ludvic Pathical CMI and Rev.Fr. John Pallithuruthel CMI served the parish during 1998 to 2000.
In the year 2000, Punalur parish returned to the pastoral care and clerical jurisdiction of Archdiocese of Changanassery. Rev. Fr. Joseph Choolaparampill, proved his merit through the various activities he engaged in such as, Common Grave Construction at Cemetery, Building rooms for the Cook and Office bearers. He was not only the benefactor of the Catholics but the common men of the city. On 2nd November 2001, Sacred Heart Convent was started at Nellippally. Kollam – Ayur Forane Vicar Rev. Fr. Sebastian Viruppel blessed the convent. Sisters from this convent play a major role in the day to day spiritual activities of the church as well as Contribution in Catechism and liturgical training is worth mentioning. A Chappel at Pathanapuram was started during this time. As an illustrious priest who cared for both spiritual and material building of the people of Punalur Rev. Fr. Joseph Choolaparampill left an indelible mark in the history of S.H church Punalur.
His selfless service came to an end as his successor Rev. Fr. Sebastian Ezhunoottil took charge. His heart is filled with an unquenchable thirst for souls. His priority remained with prayer filled Holy Querbana, adoration and Christmas celebrations. From the year of 2005 Parish day celebrations were started in the month of November. During the 4 years of vicarship Fr. Sebastian, various instruments for choir purposes in the Church were bought. As he had been transferred to Kumarakam Parish, Rev. Fr. George Manthuruthil took charge on 27 may 2009. He stressed inter-rite relations, inter-faith harmony and ecumenism. Cemetery chapel was solemnly consecrated by H. E. Mar Joseph Perumthottam, the Metropolitan of Changanachery. Year for Priests, celebrations were inaugurated on the same day. He put a lot of efforts to collect the Baptismal, Marriage and confirmation records of families and Computerisation of the Parish information were completed in the year 2010. An acre of land has been purchased for constructing a church at Pathanapuram. 2009 March 14th was a remarkable day in the History of Punalur parish with the pastoral visit of H. E. Mar Joseph Perumthottam, the auxiliary Bishop of Changanassery. He took time to meet Office bearers, prayer groups, different religious organization committee members as well as the Old and sick people of the parish separately.
On 25th of April 2010, the Year of Priests closing ceremony of forane was celebrated at Secred Heart Church, Punalur. All the Priests and Nuns who have been called from this parish to work in the grape orchard of our Lord were present on that day. A new congregation of Sisters was founded in the year 2010 December 18th under our parish. The service of Sisters of Mercy(SM), at Vilakudy work remarkably for the disabled and mentally retarded orphan women. Sr. Rosaline is the founder and first Superior of the congregation.
Members of the Parish works in different Religious Organizations dedicatedly to develop a personal relationship with Jesus by forming an environment in which they will develop a better understanding of God and their Catholic Faith, a desire to serve Him within the parish and the community, and a knowledge of His love for them.
On 16th February, 2012 Fr. Joseph Nalpathamkalam took the charge of Vicar instead of Rev. Fr. George Manthuruthil.

Contact
Sacred Heart Church, Nellippally P. O.
Punalur, Kollam (Dist), Kerala, India.
Email: shchurchpunalur@gmail.com
Tel: 0475 2226206

Post a Comment

Classifieds

[Classified][featured1]

Author Profile

{facebook#https://www.facebook.com/joypkripa}

Punalur Plywood - പുനലൂര്‍ പ്ലൈവുഡ്

Punalur Plywood - പുനലൂര്‍ പ്ലൈവുഡ്
പുനലൂരിന്റെയടുത്ത് കല്ലടയാറ്റിന്റെ തീരത്ത്‌ കുര്യോട്ട് മലയില്‍ 1943 നവംബര്‍ 11 ന് മാര്‍ത്താണ്ഡവര്‍മ്മ ഇളയരാജ ആണ് കമ്പനി ഉത്ഘാദാനം ചെയ്തത്.പിന്നീട് ട്രാവന്കോര്‍ പ്ലൈവുഡ് ഇന്‍ഡസ്ട്രീസ് ആയി തീര്‍ന്നു.പത്ത് ലക്ഷം രൂപ ആയിരുന്നു കമ്പനി സ്ഥാപിച്ചപ്പോള്‍ ഉള്ള മൂലധനം 51% ഓഹരി തിരുവിതാംകൂര്‍ സര്‍ക്കാരിനു ആയിരുന്നു.49% ഓഹരി സ്വകാര്യ കമ്പനി ആയ ചിന്നു ഭായി ആന്‍ഡ് സണ്‍സിനും.

പുനലൂരും സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരവും - Freedom Fighters in Punalur

പുനലൂരും സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരവും - Freedom Fighters in Punalur
വഞ്ചിനാഥയ്യര്‍ എന്ന സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരസേനാനി പുനലൂര്‍ കേന്ദ്രീകരിച്ച് വൈദേശിക ശക്തികള്‍ക്കെതിരെയുള്ള ദേശീയപ്രസ്ഥാനം ശക്തിപ്പെടുത്തി.നിരവധി കള്ളകേസുകളില്‍ കുടുക്കി അദ്ദേഹത്തെ രാജ്യദ്രോഹിയാക്കി മാറ്റി.പോലീസ് അദ്ദേഹത്തെ വെട്ടയാടികൊണ്ടിരുന്നു.ജനിച്ചു വളര്‍ന്ന തമിഴ്നാട്ടില്‍ നിന്നും വഞ്ചിനാഥയ്യര്‍ പുനലൂരില്‍ വന്നു താമസമുറപ്പിച്ചു.

പുനലൂര്‍ 150 വര്‍ഷം മുന്‍പ് എങ്ങനെ ആയിരുന്നു

പുനലൂര്‍ 150 വര്‍ഷം മുന്‍പ് എങ്ങനെ ആയിരുന്നു
ഒന്നര നൂറ്റാണ്ടുകള്‍ക്കു മുമ്പുള്ള പുനലൂര്‍ എങ്ങനെയായിരുന്നിരിക്കണം ? തൂക്കുപാലമോ പേപ്പര്‍ മില്ലോ ഇല്ല.(അത് രണ്ടും ഇന്നും ഇല്ലാത്ത സ്ഥിതി ആണ് ! )റെയില്‍വേയോ റെയില്‍വേ സ്റ്റേഷനോ ഇല്ല .ബസ്‌ സര്‍വീസ് ഒന്നും തന്നെ ഇല്ല പാലത്തിന്റെ സ്ഥാനത്ത് കടത്ത് വള്ളമുണ്ടായിരുന്നു.

Punalur Hanging Bridge - പുനലൂര്‍ തൂക്കുപാലം

Punalur Hanging Bridge - പുനലൂര്‍ തൂക്കുപാലം 1872 ലെ അന്നത്തെ മദ്രാസ് ഗവർണർ 'ഫയർ ധ്വര' തിരുവിതാംകൂർ സന്ദർശനം നടത്തി. മാൾട്ട് എന്ന ധ്വരയായിരുന്നു. ഗവർണറുടെ പൊളിറ്റിക്കൽ സെക്രട്ടറി. തിരുവിതാംകൂർ ദിവാൻജി സർ ടി. മാധവറാവു ആയിരുന്നു. മദ്രാസിൽ നിന്നും ഗവർണർ തിരുവിതാംകൂർ സന്ദർശിച്ചപോൾ പോളിറ്റിക്കൽ സെക്രട്ടറി ദിവാൻജി മാധവറാവുവിനോട് ഒരാവശ്യം ഉന്നയിച്ചു. 'കല്ലടയാറിനു കുറുകെ ഒരു പാലം പണിയുക'.

Punalur Papper Mill - പുനലൂര്‍ പേപ്പര്‍ മില്‍

Punalur Papper Mill - പുനലൂര്‍ പേപ്പര്‍ മില്‍ 1200 തൊഴിലാളികൾ ജോലി ചെയ്യുന്ന പുനലൂർ പേപ്പർമിൽ തിരുവിതാംകൂറിലെ ആദ്യത്തെ സം‌യോജിത ഓഹരി കമ്പനിയാണ് (ജോയിന്റ് സ്റ്റോക്ക് കമ്പനി). 1885-1888 ൽ ബ്രിട്ടീഷ് പൗരനായ ഐ. എച്ച്. കാമറൂൺ കല്ലടയാറിന്റെ തീരത്തായി മിൽ സ്ഥാപിച്ചു. കടലാസ് നിർമ്മാണ രംഗത്ത് ഈറ്റ കൊണ്ട് കടലാസ് നിർമിക്കുന്ന ഇന്ത്യയിലെ ആദ്യ സ്ഥാപനമായിരുന്നു.

Punalur Boys School

Punalur Boys School പുനലൂര്‍ ബോയ്സ് ഹൈസ്കൂളിന്‍റെ ചരിത്രം ചുരുക്കം ചില വാക്കുകളില്‍... പത്തനാപുരം താലുക്കിന്‍റെ സമഗ്ര വികസനത്തിനും അഭിവൃദ്ധിക്കും ഉതകുന്ന സ്കൂളുകള്‍, വായനശാലകള്‍, ആരോഗ്യകേന്ദ്രങ്ങള്‍,എന്നിവ സ്ഥാപിക്കുക,ഉന്നത വിദ്യാഭ്യാസത്തിനും, സാങ്കേതിക വിദ്യാഭ്യാസത്തിനും ആവശ്യമായ സ്ഥാപനങള്‍ നടത്തുക എന്നീ ഉദ്ദേശ ലക്ഷ്യങ്ങളോടെ രൂപം കൊണ്ട സംഘടന ആണ് പത്തനാപുരം താലുക്ക് സമാജം.

Punalur Railway History

Punalur Railway History ഇരുപതാം നൂറ്റാണ്ടിന്റെ തുടക്കത്തിൽ തിരുവിതാംകൂർ രാജാവ് ശ്രീമൂലം തിരുനാളിന്റെ കാലത്താണു് കൊല്ലത്തുനിന്നും പുനലൂർ - ഇടമൺ- ഭഗവതിപുരം - ചെങ്കോട്ട വഴി തിരുനെൽ‌വേലി വരെ മീറ്റർഗേജ് വീതിയിൽ പണികഴിച്ച ഈ പാത പണി നിർമ്മിക്കപ്പെട്ടതു്. ദുർഘടമായ മലമ്പ്രദേശങ്ങളിലൂടെ കടന്നുപോവുന്ന പാതയ്ക്കു് അന്നത്തെ കണക്കിൽ 1,12,65,637 രൂപയായിരുന്നു നിർമ്മാണച്ചെലവു്.

കലയനാട് പീപ്പിള്‍സ്‌ ലൈബ്രറി

കലയനാട് പീപ്പിള്‍സ്‌ ലൈബ്രറി പുനലൂരിന്റെ കിഴക്കന്‍ മേഖലയില്‍ സാമൂഹിക സാംസ്കാരിക രംഗത്ത് സജീവ സാന്നിദ്ധ്യമായി നില കൊള്ളുന്ന ഒരു മഹത് പ്രസ്ഥാനമാണ് കലയനാട് പീപ്പിള്‍സ്‌ ലൈബ്രറി, സ്പോര്‍ട്സ് ആന്‍ഡ് ആര്‍ട്സ് ക്ലബ്. കഴിഞ്ഞ 60 വര്‍ഷക്കാലമായി ഈ പ്രദേശത്തിന്റെ വികാസ പരിണാമങ്ങളുടെ ചരിത്രം കെ.പി.എല്‍.എ.സി. യുടെ ചരിത്രവുമായി ഇഴചേര്‍ന്നിരിക്കുന്നുവെന്ന് പറയാം

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.